Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Moose on the Loose... and other Wildlife Shenanigans

As of late, we've had bunch of wildlife in our yard... and especially moose. It's as if we live in a moose refuge or something. I LOVE it. I realize we've lived here for about 3 years now, but I don't know- it just does not get old... and I don't think it should. Here's a look at some of the visitors we've been having lately...


Um... doesn't she have the cutest little face ever?!

And I feel like she's going "Oooooooooh Eeeeeeeeee!" here... because that thought instantly makes me laugh... and because I'm a big ol nerd

We are also fortunate enough to have quite a few great gray owls hang around. I only see them about once or twice a month, but we hear them hooting above our house a couple nights a week.


And then back to the awesome moose. Here's a mama and her calf out in front of our house

We had a buck last week hanging out below the trees...

His lady friends gossiping later that day...

The next morning we had this guy walk down our street...

 You can tell it's a bull but that he's already shed his antlers by the marks above his eyes...

A couple days later this cow (lady moose) was munching on some shrubs...

Yesterday I was coming back from the post office and I saw a different cow with her calf hanging out in the creek. It was such an awesome scene and I would have stopped had I not had my crazy dog in the car.

So when I got home, I put Maverick out on his rope and went inside to tell Danny about the cute little moose scene I saw. It wasn't long before Maverick started barking though (he does that if he gets tangled or sees a squirrel) so I went back outside to see if he needed untangled. And that's when I saw he was less than 10 feet away from a bull moose barking like he was the bigger animal. I rushed to the rope, pulled him in as fast as I could, and got him in the house as quickly as possible. That dog is crazy.

Later on the moose came back. And he just happened to come when we also had a buck and 2 does out front as well. You can barely see the white butts of the does in the trees.


With the snow falling and all the animals out front, I felt like I was in Snow White... it was flipping awesome

1 comment:

  1. I'm born and raised in Alaska and having wildlife in your front yard never gets old!:) You have a lot more diversity than we do and I'm jealous. Always brightens your day doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete